Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Flex is the future

Bruce Eckel writes that Java has lost it's edge. In particular, he sites the very old problem that Java applets never capitalized on the promise of rich internet applications (RIAs). Instead of embracing AJAX (in fact he rejects it based on his disdain for Javascript), he is recommending Flash/Flex. It appears he is now working for Adobe (literally, he says "Full disclosure: I’m in the process of working out a consulting contract with Adobe, to help them teach people about Flex. But long before this, I became convinced that Flash, and Flex in particular, was the best solution for the user-interface problem, and I began writing this article long before Adobe expressed interest in my assistance.") I also find it funny that he rejects Javascript, but is embracing ActionScript (on which Flash is based) when they are both derived from EMCAScript.

No comments: