Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Superior Google Maps Mashup

I am wrapping up a semester project for my graduate database course. The assignment was to build a dynamic website driven by a backend database. I chose to build a Google Maps mashup for my town (Superior, CO). Overlaying data about parks, trails, bike routes onto a Google Map.

I got the idea from Chicago Bike Map mashup. I'm an avid cyclist and I thought something like this would be cool for my local area. And I volunteered for the town on parks, recreation, and trails. I got to know the GIS consultant for the town and realized he would be able to provide the data I needed to overlay on Google Maps.

So I'll be posting nerdy updates here on things I've done and learned. Once I have the app hosted somewhere more permanent (currently on iBook laptop), I'll put up a pointer to it.

Update: I've got this hosted now. Go to, http://gregz.is-a-geek.net/

No comments: